Patricia Arquette, Carrie Stevens Accuse Oliver Stone of Sexual Misconduct | Allure
Less than 24 hours after he defended Harvey Weinstein before backtracking on his statements, Oliver Stone is facing accusations of sexual misconduct himself from two women.
On Friday morning, actress Patricia Arquette became the second woman to accuse the director of sexual harassment or assault, joining former Playboy model Carrie Stevens, who accused him of groping her when she was 22. Both women spoke out about their experiences with Stone on social media.
“Years ago Oliver Stone wanted me to do a movie,” Arquette wrote in a Twitter thread. “We talked about the Material which was very sexual. The meeting was professional. Then I received from him long stem jungle roses. It’s not uncommon to receive flowers but something about them felt weird. I ignored it then his assistant called to make sure it got them. I thanked them. He then invited me to a screening of Natual [sic] Born Killers.”
“Something felt weird so I asked my boyfriend to go with me,” she continued. “The room was packed. Oliver stopped me coming out of the bathroom. He said ‘Why did you bring him?’ I said ‘Why is it a problem I brought him? It shouldn’t be a problem. Think about THAT Oliver.’ Anyway never heard about the movie again & didn’t care to.”
Meanwhile, Stevens described an alleged incident with Stone from the ’90s in a statement on Facebook.
“Two of a kind! When I heard about Harvey, the first person I thought of was Oliver Stone, and it figures,” she wrote with a link to a story about Stone’s now retracted defense of Weinstein. “Here he is…I was only 22 years old. Oliver walked past me & grabbed my boob as he waltzed out the front door of a party. I still remember the cocky grin on his face like he got away with something…These douche bags are not above the law, and they should be held to the same standard as every other man. It’s common decency NOT to grab boobs, pussies (like our President does)…or any other body part of another uninvited. They should go back to preschool because they must’ve missed the lesson… ‘keep your hands to yourself.'”
In an interview with the New York Daily News, Stevens says she was surrounded by witnesses during the incident, but no one spoke up. “That’s what’s going on in Hollywood,” she said. “That’s why things have to change. He’s Oliver Stone. Nobody’s going to say anything.”
The former Playboy Playmate and actress told the Daily News that she doesn’t think she was his only victim. “If they do it to one, they’ll do it to as many as they can get away with,” she said.
In an update to her original Twitter thread, Arquette expressed similar frustrations with the lack of recourse offered victims of sexual assault and harassment.
“What I am saying is women are always f-cked,” she posted. “1)Why didn’t you say something? 2) nothing happened! 3)it’s not professional if U bring BF! 4) why DIDN’T you bring your boyfriend? 5) Believe women! & seconds later Don’t believe women! 6) Trust your instincts! 7) Your instincts are not valid! What I am demonstrating is the craggy and uncertain terrain women negotiate in Entertainment and all businesses.”
Previously, Stone had come to Weinstein’s defense after an ever-growing list of women accused the producer of sexual assault.
“I’m a believer that you wait until this thing gets to trial,” said Stone at a press eventduring the Busan International Film Festival in South Korea. “I believe a man shouldn’t be condemned by a vigilante system. It’s not easy what he’s going through, either. During that period he was a rival. I never did business with him and didn’t really know him. I’ve heard horror stories on everyone in the business, so I’m not going to comment on gossip. I’ll wait and see, which is the right thing to do.”
Stone then retracted the widely condemned statements on Friday morning, claiming he was unaware of the severity of the allegations due to travel.
“I’ve been traveling for the last couple of days and wasn’t aware of all the women who came out to support the original story in the New York Times,” he posted on Facebook. “After looking at what has been reported in many publications over the last couple of days, I’m appalled and commend the courage of the women who’ve stepped forward to report sexual abuse or rape. I’ll therefore recuse myself from the Guantanamo series as long as the Weinstein Company is involved.”
Stone has yet to address the sexual assault allegations against himself.